[texhax] could someone give me an explanation as to why fontsize fails with an overfull box

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Jan 10 23:35:31 CET 2019

David Carlisle wrote:
> Phil,
> I was referring to one specific paragraph, if you care to suggest some
> settings that give a better result on that paragraph, please post.

Well, there are an infinity of possibilities that don't require the use
of \sloppy (which should have been put down at birth, IMHO). Here is
just one :

> \documentclass{article}
>
> \usepackage{mathptmx}
>
> \setlength{\parindent}{9.94pt}
>
> \showoutput
>
> \overfullrule = 10 pt
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \fontsize{14.1}{17}\selectfont
>

> \fontdimen 2 \font = 1.12 \fontdimen 2 \font
>
> \fontdimen 3 \font = 1.12 \fontdimen 3 \font
>
> The reason is that upon restarting the computer, there are also other
> programs
>
> that start running on the background, among them Antivirus programs and
>
> whatever other programs Windows deems necessary for the functionality of
>
> the system.
>

> \end{document}

** Phil.