[texhax] Will my Revtex Latex file, created in Overleaf, upload to Windows Miktex?

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 9 00:19:28 CET 2019

>Re: [texhax] Will my Revtex Latex file, created in Overleaf, upload to Windows Miktex?
>Peter Flynn <peter at silmaril.ie>
>Tue 1/8/2019, 5:54 PM
>On 08/01/2019 20:50, Taylor, P wrote:
>> Arthur Pletcher wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you Philip, I was sent a message to use "MikTeX and Scientific
>>> Workplace". Do you know if they are two separate softwares to be
>>> installed separately, then used together? I am confused.
>
>Yes,  MiKTeX and Scientific Workplace are two separate programs.
>
>MiKTeX is TeX (including LaTeX and everything else).
>
>Scientific Workplace is a editor for scientific articles. I believe it
>uses MiKTeX to typeset them but I have not used it for many years so I
>don't know for sure. I also believe Scientific Workplace saves its own
>proprietary non-TeX file format, but that it is also capable of
>exporting a reusable TeX or LaTeX document.
>
>A ".tex file created in Windows Miktex" is nonsense in at least two ways:
>
> 1. because MiKTeX is not an editor, so as Phil says, it is
>    impossible to create a .tex file "IN"  MiKTeX. All you can
>    do with MiKTeX is *typeset* a .tex file,  creating a .dvi
>    or .pdf file  (you can create the .tex file with any editor);
>
> 2. because MiKTeX is a Windows program, so the reference to
>    Windows is tautologous and indicates that the journal has
>    serious problems in their understanding of LaTeX.
>
>I recommend:

Curious if this journal, or if anyone cares to comment on larger setting with other journals,
has an automated upload facility that does some kind of error checking immediately.
It may just be easier to upload your best draft and see if it returns useful errors which
could be posted here if unclear.
There are plenty of server technologies that make this pretty easy today :)