xml typesetting - LaTeX

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 18:10:11 CEST 2019

On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 at 14:52, Peter Flynn <peter at silmaril.ie> wrote:

> On 30/08/2019 10:19, Varaprasad, PrakashRao wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > But there is in built utility available xmltex.
>
> The CTAN page says
> "Sam­ple files for type­set­ting a sub­set of TEI, MathML, are in­cluded. "
> so you can use xmltex for that.
>
>  > Can we use this for xml
>  > typesetting?
>
> Not really. xmltex implements XSLT 1.0, which is obsolete. It's very
> interesting and very clever, but the world has moved on to XSLT3

No xmltex doesn't implement XSLT at all, it is a custom transformation
mechanism, it's far less powerful than XSLT, even XSLT 1.

I do hear of some xmltex users, including some professional typesetting
houses, but as the author of xmltex I have to endorse Peter's
recommendation not to use it and to use XSLT, transforming to "normal"
latex markup. That is certainly what I would do and have done when wanting
PDF from XML.

David