alternatives to the concept of a page, Gutenberg press vs LCD screen

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Fri Aug 30 00:28:19 CEST 2019

On 29/08/2019 21:52, Taylor, P wrote:
> In general I agree with Peter's reply (although I would recommend
> looking at Context if you are interested in interactive documents) but
> one part concerns me :
>
>> But HTML does not have the formatting scope of LaTeX, so it depends on
>> your application.
>
> Use properly, LaTeX and HTML have exactly the same function :  to
> indicate the structure of a document.

The difference is that LaTeX is its own rendering engine, whereas HTML
uses a browser, and (as you rightly point out) CSS

> And whilst they use very
> different syntaces, they achieve much the same effect.  The
> /presentation /of that content is not really the remit of LaTeX, any
> more than it is of HTML.

I think I'd disagree there. The presentation is not perhaps the remit of
the LaTeX *syntax*, but presentation *is* the remit of LaTeX — it is
after all why we use it.

> [...] but LaTeX 2e is still very much on a par with HTML before the
> introduction of CSS.
Not really, I think. With LaTeX (2e or otherwise) you can still produce
a document formatted in every detail; with HTML minus CSS, you can only
produce a document formatted as much as the browser-maker has defined,
which isn't much.