How to make Latex properly format a file with many sections but not section bodies?

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Mon Aug 26 18:52:20 CEST 2019

On 26/08/2019 05:37, Vladimir Nikishkin wrote:
> Hello, everyone.
>
> I have a file with many sections and subsections, but all of them are
> empty. (I will fill them later).
>
> Latex seems to be not doing any page breaks between the sections,

By default LaTeX does not insert page breaks between sections.

The normal approach is to finish writing the document completely, and
THEN look at the page-breaks.

Page-breaks are normally THE VERY LAST THING you do before publishing.
If you make premature page-breaks, you will almost certainly have to
change them, so don't do them now — leave them until the end.

> and
> as a result tries to fit everything into one page, and it doesn't fit.

That's because you have no text. When you start adding text, it will all
start formatting correctly. LaTeX is programed to avoid page-breaks
immediately after section headings, so that's why it tries to put it all
on one page.

> The file is attached to this email. It's very simple, the only
> difference with an mwe is that I didn't find the optimal length.
>
> Any suggestions?

Stop worrying about the formatting: it's too early. Write the document
first.

Peter