Can anyone recommend a spell checker for tex files?

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 16 12:06:17 CEST 2019

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 08:52:27AM +0000, Taylor, P wrote:
>    Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
>
> [...] it's quite unlikely that poeple use macros like
> \reorder, hence the benefit is quite small.
>
>    I agree that the \reorder macro is pathological in its behaviour, but this is deliberate — it was intended just as a
>    demonstration that what goes in is not necessarily what comes out.  But as I write, I realise that even spell-checking the
>    DVI/PDF is not necessarily sufficient, since one could ( for example) \raise and \lower fragments of text to create
>    seemingly perfect words on-screen (or on paper) which in reality do not exist as words (qua words) in either the TeX source
>    or the DVI/PDF output. So, for 99% of cases, spell-checking the TeX source should suffice; for 99.9%, spell-checking the
>    DVI/PDF, but for 99.9% recurring one would need integrated OCR as well.
>    Philip Taylor

I was not following the thread but tried to reply earlier although
I apparently did not reply to the list. Basically for related and unrelated reasons curious
if latex had a mode to drop proportional spacing, hyphenation, and output dvi source code annotated with
latex source info that could be assembled with dviasm. I'm presuming the output would be a lot
of "set" commands with  long strings and  some moves, pushes,  pops and BOP/EOP.  This may be useful
for a variety of things.

In the past IIRC I just used aspell on the latex source although checking the output of  lynx on the output
of htlatex looks like it would be a good way to go with or without special defs to remove
tables and figures and stuff you don't want to spell check. I think I have figures and equations
mostly wrapped so I can turn them off pretty easily although not sure what that does
with captions.

--

mike marchywka
306 charles cox