problem with new MikTex and new emacs installations

Christopher W. Ryan cryan at binghamton.edu
Mon Apr 1 23:07:41 CEST 2019

Yes, I have a 64-bit machine. I used to have a 32-bit computer, and when
the employer gave me a new 64-bit machine, I guess I must have just
stuck with what I was used to when I reinstalled all the software,
although it was a while ago, so I can't quite remember my rationale.

At any rate, using the -Q switch to start plain vanilla emacs 26.1,
64-bit, and compiling the my MWE with C-c C-c ENTER (which defaults to
pdflatex), things seem to go OK.

It creates foo.pdf, foo.aux, and foo.log.  Here is contents of foo.log:

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.20 (MiKTeX 2.9.7000 64-bit)
(preloaded format=pdflatex 2019.4.1)  1 APR 2019 16:55
entering extended mode
**\nonstopmode\input foo.tex
(foo.tex ("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\tex/latex/base\article.cls"
Document Class: article 2018/09/03 v1.4i Standard LaTeX document class
("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\tex/latex/base\size10.clo"
File: size10.clo 2018/09/03 v1.4i Standard LaTeX file (size option)
)
\c at part=\count80
\c at section=\count81
\c at subsection=\count82
\c at subsubsection=\count83
\c at paragraph=\count84
\c at subparagraph=\count85
\c at figure=\count86
\c at table=\count87
\abovecaptionskip=\skip41
\belowcaptionskip=\skip42
\bibindent=\dimen102
)
No file foo.aux.
\openout1 = `foo.aux'.

LaTeX Font Info:    Checking defaults for OML/cmm/m/it on input line 3.
LaTeX Font Info:    ... okay on input line 3.
LaTeX Font Info:    Checking defaults for T1/cmr/m/n on input line 3.
LaTeX Font Info:    ... okay on input line 3.
LaTeX Font Info:    Checking defaults for OT1/cmr/m/n on input line 3.
LaTeX Font Info:    ... okay on input line 3.
LaTeX Font Info:    Checking defaults for OMS/cmsy/m/n on input line 3.
LaTeX Font Info:    ... okay on input line 3.
LaTeX Font Info:    Checking defaults for OMX/cmex/m/n on input line 3.
LaTeX Font Info:    ... okay on input line 3.
LaTeX Font Info:    Checking defaults for U/cmr/m/n on input line 3.
LaTeX Font Info:    ... okay on input line 3.
[1

{C:/Users/ryanc/AppData/Local/MiKTeX/2.9/pdftex/config/pdftex.map}]
(foo.aux) )

Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
 201 strings out of 492945
 2066 string characters out of 3135514
 59202 words of memory out of 3000000
 4187 multiletter control sequences out of 15000+200000
 3640 words of font info for 14 fonts, out of 3000000 for 9000
 1141 hyphenation exceptions out of 8191
 23i,4n,17p,130b,107s stack positions out of
5000i,500n,10000p,200000b,50000s
<C:/Program Files/MiKTeX 2.9/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmr10.pfb>
Output written on foo.pdf (1 page, 10882 bytes).
PDF statistics:
 10 PDF objects out of 1000 (max. 8388607)
 0 named destinations out of 1000 (max. 500000)
 1 words of extra memory for PDF output out of 10000 (max. 10000000)

FWIW, I've also discovered that a tex -> dvi -> ps -> pdf workflow in my
new emacs installation works fine; it's the tex -> pdf workflow that
seems to have the troubl. Also, compiling a simple org-mode file
directly from emacs to pdf works without error.

I will have to scour my .emacs file closely.

Thanks.

--Chris Ryan