[texhax] help

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 23:10:58 CET 2018

On 11/21/18 7:32 AM, Lars Madsen wrote:

>> Does anyone know why sam2p is not provided in texlive for Linux?

> that was already mentioned, it already comes separately for Linux as
> it is useful for everyone, not just TeXLive users. So there is no
> need to provide it twice.

I can't find it in Ubuntu (Debian) repositories, and from

     https://tanguy.ortolo.eu/blog/article143/removing-sam2p-from-debian

-----
		Issues with sam2p and removal

I have been maintaining the Debian package of sam2p for some time.
Unfortunately, the upstream development of that program is no longer
active, and it is using an old custom build chain that no longer works
with recent version of GCC.

This package is currently failing to build from source, and while I have
been able to patch some issues in the past, and it may still be possible
to fix it again, this is not really sustainable.

I am therefore considering to remove sam2p from Debian, unless someone
has a very good reason to keep it and is able and willing to maintain it.

			Alternative

sam2p is a raster image conversion tool that can convert PNG and JPEG to
EPS and PDF while keeping their compression, which is mostly useful to
use them in documents compiled with LaTeX. Fortunately, the same can be
done with ImageMagick.

-----

Best

Axel