[texhax] help

William F Hammond hmwlfsr at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 20 19:43:41 CET 2018

Peter Flynn <peter at silmaril.ie> writes:

> On 19/11/2018 23:21, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

>> It makes a lot of sense to convert bitmap graphics to PDF.  TeX Live
>> provides a program (Windows only) called sam2p, written by Péter
>> Szabó, which converts bitmaps to EPS or PDF.
>>
>> This program is very fast, creates very small files, supports many
>> bitmap formats, and is easy to use:
>>
>>   sam2p foo.tif foo.pdf
>>
>> For details see:  https://pts.50.hu/sam2p/
>
> This is excellent, thank you. I was aware of it, but I assumed it was
> Windows-only, so I had no occasion to use it. I have now installed the
> Linux version.

That website is not responding as I write this.

Sam2p doesn't seem to be in TeXLive 2017.  So to check it out,
either I'll need to install TL 2018 or look for source.

I have obtained zipfiles for source code at ctan
(Sept. 2017), https://ctan.org/pkg/sam2p and github
(Oct. 2018 "master"), https://github.com/pts/sam2p

(I haven't tried either of these yet, but I shall.)

                              -- Bill

Email: hmwlfsr at yahoo.com
       gellmu at gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/william.f.hammond