[texhax] LGR for xelatex/lualatex

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Thu May 24 01:09:21 CEST 2018

> I presume the "English hyphenation patterns" are used with pdflatex as well and that the user is happy with that.

No, if you switch to Greek using babel in 8bit TeX then the font
encoding will be LGR and also the \language will switch to Greek
patterns assuming the LGR layout with Greek in the 0-256 codepoint
range.  In xelatex (as in classic latex) you can not load patterns in
a standard job and the LGR patterns are not loaded (just as the T1
patterns for latin scripts are not loaded) the default build only
loads patterns for Unicode fonts.

I would understand "supporting LGR with fira sans" to mean making a
font mapping and tfm available so LGR encode Fira Sans is available in
(pdf)latex. It makes no more sense to use LGR encoded Greek in xelatex
than it does to use T1 encoded French, it just can never do anything
useful.

David