[texhax] eplain multicolumn

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Sun May 20 10:13:41 CEST 2018

Text is flowing from one column to another with no forced page breaks
so you would not normally expect to be able to change the text width.
Linebreaking happens before page/column breaking so a paragraph is
broken in to lines before it is known which column (or columns) those
lines will fall on, so the column width needs to be fixed in advance.

Of course it's always possible to define something. Notably if the
column breaks are always at a specific command, that command could be
defined to  split a column and change the text width before starting
the next, but that would basically be  a completely different
implementation of "columns".

This answer applies really to any format, you would see the same in
latex multicolumns