[texhax] Problem with accented characters in Opensans font

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 15:18:10 CEST 2018

On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 at 13:47, Philip Taylor <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:

> I suppose it would be disingenuous of me to ask why, if the encoding is known as "T1" in LaTeX (or even in latex [sic]), why the font name ends in "t1" rather than "T1" ...

you'd have to ask whoever made it. In a different century filenames
including latex encoding definition files such as t1enc.def that
defines the T1 encoding were lowercased  by convention to make them
monocase as mixed case
files were a pain for portability between filesytems of the age, but
here, since the rest of the file name is OpenSans-CondLight the "avoid
mixed case"  argument is a bit weak.

It's only a name, it doesn't really matter. Nothing (as far as I know)
automatically finds fonts of specific encoding by string matching the
filename.