[texhax] undertilde and MiKTeX

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Oct 28 00:32:52 CEST 2017

On 28/10/17 11:15, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> On 2017-10-28 at 10:05:51 +1300, Rolf Turner wrote:
>
>   > The journal of which I am Technical Editor provides a document class
>   > file which implements the style conventions that papers published in the
>   > journal must meet.
>   >
>   > This document class makes use of the "\undertilde" command.  Apparently
>   > there are licensing issues with the undertilde package, and for this
>   > reason (I think) my installation of texlive has no undertilde.sty file,
>   > but rather a file undertilde.tex.  Explicitly:
>   >
>   >   /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/generic/genmisc/undertilde.tex
>   >
>   > For *that* reason the document class file for the journal uses
>   >
>   >      \input{undertilde}
>   >
>   > rather than
>   >
>   >      \usepackage{undertilde}
>   >
>   > An author contacted me just now saying that he is getting an error
>   >
>   >      > File `undertilde.tex' not found. \input{undertilde}
>
> Did he install the file in his current working directory or somewhere
> else?

The only file that he *installed* was the document class file
anzsauth.cls.  I'm pretty sure that he put it "in the right place".
MiKTeX is finding the document class file OK.  What it *can't* find is
undertilde.tex --- which should (???) be part of the MiKTeX installation.

> If it's installed somewhere else, the filename database (ls-R on
> Unix, don't know how it's named under MiKTeX) has to be updated.
>
> Ask him to copy the file to the directory containing his LaTeX files.
> This should always work.

Yes, I believe it should.  But I want to set things up so that the
anzsauth document class will work seamlessly for everybody without their
having to mess around.

I think that what I really need is that conditional structure that I
enquired about, and do not have sufficient skill to implement myself.
I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a recipe for doing
this.

cheers,

Rolf

--