[texhax] Updating the morehelp package

Boris Veytsman borisv at lk.net
Wed Oct 4 17:18:16 CEST 2017

DC> From: David Carlisle <d.p.carlisle at gmail.com>
DC> Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2017 12:29:11 +0100

DC> sure but unlike traditional use (where we have no idea how many users
DC> there are) these online systems can count their users
DC> so if sharelatex has a million users that is almost certainly an
DC> increase in total tex usage overall.

Sorry for nitpicking, but this is not correct.  The data show the
*number* of users, not the *increase*.  I suspect many ShareLaTeX
customers used LaTeX quietly for quite some time.

As a consultant I had customers you would never suspect using TeX:
physicians, lawyers, shipping companies...  Since then I always
thought the number of TeX users was much greater than the usual
estimates.

This means, by the way, that I disagree with the point about rush of
new users.  We have the same users, they just became more visible.

--
Good luck

-Boris

He who knows others is wise.