[texhax] undertilde and MiKTeX

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Nov 1 21:35:28 CET 2017

On 02/11/17 00:50, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> Am Sat, 28 Oct 2017 10:05:51 +1300 schrieb Rolf Turner:
>
>> An author contacted me just now saying that he is getting an error
>>
>>       > File `undertilde.tex' not found. \input{undertilde}
>>
>> This author is using TeXstudio which is a front end for MiKTeX.
>
> texstudio is an editor which can be used with any texsystem and also
> works on linux, see www.texstudio.org

Yes.  I *knew* that too!  I just got temporarily confused.  Sorry!

> This said: undertilde.tex is in miktex. Your author probably hasn't
> enabled on-the-fly installation and so should install with the
> package manager the genmisc package.

Yes, likely.  The author (I know him quite well) *used to be* very
computer savvy, but in recent years has been working in the commercial
world and has thus been immersed in Micro$oft crap, which has (it
appears) deadened his brain.

OTOH I am still mystified by the posting from Dieter Kilsch:

> I use MikTeX 2.9 under Windows 10. win-grep, target on the whole
> \tex\-folder, only found "undertilde" in \tex\latex\vector\vector.sty,
> where the command is defined. So to me there is no underline.sty or
> undertilde.tex > I do not have a folder tex/generic/genmisc or something similar.
Have you any explanation for this apparent contradiction?  (Not that it
really matters now; just idle curiosity.)

> But as David wrote the tex-file contains only three lines of code
> and it would be much better to add a suitable definition to your
> class instead of relying on such an outside file.

Yes, thanks.  I've followed David's advice.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--
Technical Editor ANZJS