[texhax] page jumps

William F Hammond hmwlfsr at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 28 22:50:00 CEST 2017

Heiko Oberdiek <heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com> writes:

> However, the named action "GoBack" is not part of the ISO standard,
> at least it is recognized in Adobe Reader or xpdf, but not evince.

I'm looking at version 3.4.0 of Evince in a rather old
version of Ubuntu.  There is indeed an action labeled "back"
available for the toolbar, though not by default, that
serves, more or less, this function.  It seems to be
page-oriented rather than location-oriented.  Thus, in using
"back" to move to a page that is already partly visible, it
may appear that nothing happends.  It does stack a list of prior
pages.

Curiously there is no (default) menu item for this "back".
There are two menus for the toolbar: (a) View->Toolbar,
which controls whether the toolbar is display and
(b) Edit->Toolbar, which opens a window listing functions not
presently on the toolbar.  Functions may be dragged back and
forth between the toolbar itself and the edit-toolbar
window.

I hope this function has not been removed from more recent
versions of Evince.

                              -- Bill