[texhax] newtx font installation

Schwartz, Steven J s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Sat Feb 25 16:37:04 CET 2017

Dear All,

My journal publisher's class file uses newtx fonts, so I've tried to update my miktex installation. The miktex package manager reports that all of newtxtt, newtxsf, minion2newtx and newtx itself (only the last is new) are installed. I've run (as administrator and as myself) updmap as well as FNDB. A simple hello world file (appended) will compile and produce a dvi, but converting it to pdf or viewing it in yap or ... tries to run miktex-makepk to make pk fonts and these fail. Compiling with pdflatex (which is what I'd really like to do) fails in the same way:

Trying to make PK font ntx-Regular-tlf-t1 at 600 DPI...
Running miktex-makemf.exe...
miktex-makemf: The ntx-Regular-tlf-t source file could not be found.
Running ttf2pk.exe...
miktex-makepk: PK font ntx-Regular-tlf-t1 could not be created.

Yap->Document Properties reports that it finds:

ntxmi, txmi in Program Files (x86)\MikTex 2.9\fonts\vf\public\newtx\...
rtxmi and rtxptmn in Users\steve\AppData\Local\MikTex\2.9\fonts\pk\mo...
mtxmi and ntx-Regul.. are Not loadable

My settings show the following roots
c:ProgramData\MikTex\2.9     [CommonData]
d:\sjs_d\Documents\localtexmf
c:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.9   [CommonInstall]

updmap reports:
$ updmap --verbose | grep newt
C:/Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX 2.9/fonts/type1/public/newtx: skipping, existing cache is valid: 73 fonts, 0 dirs
C:/Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX 2.9/fonts/type1/public/newtxsf: skipping, existing cache is valid: 4 fonts, 0 dirs
C:/Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX 2.9/fonts/type1/public/newtxtt: skipping, existing cache is valid: 4 fonts, 0 dirs
C:/Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX 2.9/fonts/opentype/public/newtx: skipping, existing cache is valid: 4 fonts, 0 dirs

I'm not a font guru at all. With type1 and opentype fonts, are pk fonts needed (this question no doubt reveals my ignorance)? I'm not sure, of course, whether I have all the T1 fonts here. Googling suggests I need the .mf files to create the pk fonts, but .mf files are not present in the installed packages AFAICT.

Help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

-----

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{newtxtext}
\usepackage{newtxmath}
\begin{document}

Hello world.

\[ Hello maths world \]

\end{document}

Steven J Schwartz                  Phone:  +44 (0)207 594 7660
Professor of Space Physics         Fax:    +44 (0)207 594 7772
Director, Imperial Space Lab       www.imperial.ac.uk/spacelab<http://www.imperial.ac.uk/spacelab>
The Blackett Laboratory            Email:  s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk<mailto:s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk>
Imperial College London            Office: Huxley 6M58
London SW7 2AZ, UK                 Web:    www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~sjs<http://www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~sjs>