[texhax] slow execution even with pre-compiled header

Daniel H. Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Wed Jan 13 23:43:07 CET 2016

Lance B wrote:

Ø  The following code takes about 1:10 to execute on my machine

Ø  (one minute, ten seconds). It takes a split second on a colleague's

Ø  machine (she has the same machine as me - same RAM, etc). It also

Ø  takes a long time with a pre-compiled header. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

[simple code omitted]

What TeX system is installed on your machine?

MiKTeX (for one example) can spend some time downloading and installing a
missing package. I have heard of cases (where the installing and the
TeXing have different permissions) that the same package is repeatedly
reinstalled.

I have seen TeX Live (my preferred system)), occasionally (on windows), take
quite some time on an equally simple file. In those cases I am guessing the
problem was some background program hogging CPU cycles. It is usually not
reproducible.

Daniel H. Luecking, Graduate Coordinator
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR, USA