[texhax] Flagging when a \parindent falls at top of page (UNIV: Plain XeTeX)

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Aug 29 12:31:42 CEST 2016

My sincere thanks to all who have responded on this issue.  There are now too many outstanding replies for me to respond to each individually, but I am especially grateful to Akira-san for providing the relevant documentation and to others who have referred me to existing sources of information.  I will, if I may, just respond to Ulrike's most recent message :

> I don't agree that a \parindent at this place is not needed. How
> should the reader know that a new paragraph is starting (or not
> starting) here if the parindent is missing?
I agree that this is a very subjective area, which is why I wrote in my original message "where (IMHO) these are not required".  To my mind, the improved aesthetics of a page that does not start with a \parindent outweigh the consequence semantic loss.  And I also agree that there is no way to automatically remove all unwanted \parindents in a single pass, but the text on which I am currently working is now fully press-ready and I am therefore willing to spend a little extra time improving the aesthetics, even though I appreciate that it will almost certainly be a multi-pass task.
--

Philip Taylor