[texhax] enumerate inconsistency

William F Hammond hmwlfsr at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 7 21:20:42 CET 2015

Victor Ivrii writes:

> If in {enumerate} item does not have a custom "label" then supplying it
> with a \label{A} works: \ref{A} returns a value of the standard label.
>
> On the other hand, if item has a custom label then \label{C} fails: \ref{C}
> returns either empty (as in the example below) or value of the larger
> environment (say, section)

Yes, I think this is the way it is.  \ref needs to look at a
counter.  This happens by default only with enumerated items
having no custom label.

On the other hand, if one makes a customized list using the
list environment, then \usecounter provides a way of
attaching a counter.

BTW, the handling of \ref in GELLMU is completely detached
from regular LaTeX's handling because the source passes
through an XML stage and there needs to be a way for cross
references and numbering to work through that and then
across the different output formats.  Suffice it to say that
every label belongs to a series that has an attached
counter.  See
http://www.albany.edu/~hammond/gellmu/glman/glman.html#labelref

                              -- Bill

Email: hmwlfsr at yahoo.com