[texhax] Page layout

Schneider schneidt at mail.nih.gov
Sun May 24 16:26:18 CEST 2015

Jerry:

> I am still trying to learn LaTeX, so this may seem like a stupid question. I
> am looking for a package, or method of laying out a grid on a page so that I
> can be sure that everything I place on the page is spaced and positioned
> correctly.I know about the "showframe" option with the "geometry" package;
> however, that does not actually place a grid on the page.

PStricks can do this really nicely.  I built a demo for you, attached.

I use this method extensively for making slides using powerdot, but
this is an example for a regular LaTeX page.  For slides there are a
few changes, most notably one needs to add an extra '[]' to get
itemize to work in a parbox:
\begin{itemize}[][leftmargin=1pt,labelsep=3pt,itemsep=6pt]
along with the slide stepping mechanism.

(Note: unfortunately my website is down, possibly until Tuesday, so
the hyperlinks don't work for now.)

Tom

  Thomas D. Schneider, Ph.D.
  Senior Investigator
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Center for Cancer Research
  Gene Regulation and Chromosome Biology Laboratory
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  http://schneider.ncifcrf.gov (current link)
  http://alum.mit.edu/www/toms (permanent link)