[texhax] How to convert Digital Research TEX Text Formater files to plainTeX

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at googlemail.com
Sat May 16 01:43:13 CEST 2015

On 2015-05-15 at 15:03:20 +0200, Martin Schröder wrote:

 >> Unfortunately, it's not a variant of roff, it's TeX for CP/M by
 >> Digital Research. As I said I have the manual for DR's TEX,
 >> here's a quote from the
 >> title page:
 >>     "The "TEX User's Guide" was prepared using the
 >> TEX Text Formatter."
 >>  and trademark paragraph:
 >>     "The names CP/M, SID, MAC, TEX, and Digital
 >> Research are trademarks of Digital Research."
 >> It's just one of the infinite varieties of commercialized TeX put
 >> out in the late 70's (1978 in this case) by various and sundry
 >> vendors.
 >
 > http://maben.homeip.net/static/S100/software/DRI/tex%20formatter/TEX%20Text%20Formatter%20CPM.pdf
 >
 > I seriously doubt that this program shares anything with DEK's TeX
 > aside from the three letters of the name.

Absolutely correct, Martin.  Here is the definite answer:

 Donald E. Knuth, "Digital Typography", footnote on page 27.

 | \TeX\ has no connection with a similar-named system recently
 | announced by Honeywell Information Systems, or with another one
 | developed by Digital Research.  In my language the T, E, and X are
 | Greek letters and \TeX\ is pronounced "tech", following the Greek
 | words for art and technology.

Thus, Peter, there is no "TeX for CP/M".  This one is called "TEX".

I never expected that a slightly different spelling leads to so much
confusion.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25