[texhax] Do any college courses exist in TeX?

Bob Wilson millstadtf at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 02:01:31 CEST 2015

I've been a LaTeX user for about 8 years, and I know a small fraction of
the commands. Write a basic paper using the "article" document class. The
Not-So-Short Guide to LaTeX can help you with this first step. After that,
either reference that guide, or google things, or use the texhax mailing
list. It'll be awful for about a week, but it'll get easier with time.

You'll never memorize all the commands, but you can figure out how to
lookup what you need for 90% of your usage cases. The remaining 10% is why
this mailing list exists.

Bob Wilson

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 12:58 PM, <resolvent at comcast.net> wrote:

> Dear TeX Group,
> Do you know of any community or 4-year colleges which explicitly offer
> a credit-course in TeX typesetting or any of its numerous variants (LaTeX,
> etc),
> specifically in the New Jersey / Philadelphia area?
> I have never learned TeX, in spite of trying at least 20 times since 1990.
> For all my published math papers (about 7 of them in 3 different
> peer-reviewed journals)
> I've used MS Word & Design Science's Mathtype, and exported to a PDF.
> My math & physics friends also have never learned TeX. I cannot speak for
> them whether
> they have tried it or not.
> Reason I ask: my math & physics friends & I might need to use TeX
> as part of a National Science Foundation grant I am preparing: not for the
> application process at all,
> but for archiving our results.
> But, in spite of thousands of online tutorials & YouTube videos,
> we can never organize & memorize the massive number of commands in markup
> languages
> like TeX.  So, in order for us to do it, we would need to take formal
> college courses in TeX
> and each of us devote several thousand hours learning it.
> Thanks,
> John Michael Nahay
> 25 Chestnut Hill Lane
> Columbus, NJ 08022-1039
> resolvent at alumni.rutgers.edu
> Home: 609-298-3650
> _______________________________________________
> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
> Mailing list archives: http://tug.org/pipermail/texhax/
> More links: http://tug.org/begin.html
> Automated subscription management: http://tug.org/mailman/listinfo/texhax
> Human mailing list managers: postmaster at tug.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://tug.org/pipermail/texhax/attachments/20150622/2419972e/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the texhax mailing list