[texhax] Having trouble with roman numerals

David Niklas great123456 at mail.com
Fri Jun 19 15:28:53 CEST 2015

> > P.S.: Funtoo [...] Sadly, all the latex packages are
> > in three bundles as of this writing, making it
> > difficult to figure out which package does what
> > for you.
> Same here on Lubuntu/Debian TeX Live up to a factor
> of about 10, until suddenly maintainers thought that
> with APT there were no need for tlmgr, I have prepared
> a rude posting about this weeks ago.  BTW: what's
> your name?  I seems to vary.

Sorry for the deception, I use a *Free* mail service called mail.com
and they seem to had out my address and they send me spam so, I
changed my name in the account prefs years ago and so all the messages
I get saying something like "Hello Frank" I know are spam. After much
time, learning, and other troubles, I used nmap and a couple of
guesses and found out the servers mail ports and so now I'm using
claws-mail (Yeh!) and so I don't have use my account name when sending
email. I have been maintaining a fake persona up to now because it was
easier then explaining to everyone why I signed my name as one thing
and sent it as another.

> More detailed about what at least one found rude
> and/or ridiculus, on the fact that there is no
> problem with Roman numerals and no information
> about where to place a copyright mark, on the
> basis of which useful advice could be given:
>
> > Well, page numbering in pdf, ps, and dvi files the
> > numbering starts at the title, so I assumed that
> > that's what your supposed to do when you publish
> > pdf/ps/dvi docs.  Where should I put it, ideally?
>
> put *what*?

\pagenumbering{roman}
Currently I have three pages all called 1 in xdvi when I open my doc
whereas when I open someone else's book, then the page numbering starts
from i.

<snip>
> [...]
> One interpretation is that you hope it results in
> placing the copyright string on the title page by
> \maketitle, as with \author and \date.  However, with
> Standard LaTeX, there is *no* "keyword" that inserts
> such a copyright statement on the title page
> straightforwardly; while you could use \author or
> even \date
>
>     \date{06/16/2015\\[1ex]
>           \textcopyright~Frank Ernest++}
>
> or, perhaps more straightforwardly, \thanks.
>
> I know about ways to place the copyright string on
> each page or on almost every second page, I told
> you, should *that* turn out to be your idea.
>
> I did think of a code line for the copyright
> *above* \maketitle that could make sense:  With
> hyperref.sty, you can insert *metadata*, such
> as the author's name, by the keyword "pdfauthor",
> see section 3.7 of the manual.  I can't find
> "pdfcopyright", but "pdfinfo" might be used for
> such a purpose, not sure about "pdfproducer".
>
> However, such information inserted in the PDF will
> not be printed, it may rather appear in the top
> line of the PDF viewer window, at least it may be
> shown among the *file properties* (right-click at
> the PDF file icon).
>
> I still don't know whether this is what you intend.
>
> Looking at real-life books again, copyright marks
> seem to be printed on the *back page of the title
> page* usually.  So \textcopyright might help *below*
> \maketitle.  This may be most recommendable.
>
> There is a problem *not* related to TeX:
> The copyright owner in the first instance is the
> *author*.  The author more usually transfers the
> copyright to the publisher.  I doubt that *you*
> get the copyright when you just are the copy
> typist of
>
>     \author{David Niklas}
>
> Rather, your name will be mentioned "last, not least"
> at the end of the author's preface, nowhere else in
> the book (and without a copyright mark), sorry.
>
> If you are not the author's copy typist, but work
> for the publisher, please ask at that company.
> Otherwise you should know that as the author's typist,
> (usually) it is *not your job* to create the pages
> around the title page which do not display (even)
> Roman page numbers.  By
>
>     \documentclass[11pt,oneside,a4paper]{book}
>
> you only get a rough idea of how the book could look
> like, just while preparing the manuscript before it is
> actually submitted to the publisher.  (The final book
> probably won't be "oneside" and "a4paper".)  There
> also are book classes especially for certain disciplines
> of science, such as amsbook.cls, whose output resembles
> the look provided by the publisher better.
> Some publishers offer the classes by which they
> typeset their books in the web or even on CTAN.
> Anyway, publishers have their own ideas and means
> for creating the title pages.
>
> In the latter respect, you just shouldn't deal
> with what you are asking.
>
> (I have thought of "well-reputed" publishers here,
>  not of "cheap" ones or "self-publishing".)

Currently, I don't have a publisher, this is my fist book (horrors,
another newbie!) So I just wanted on copyright statement, and I thought
it best to place it under the author and date in small print.

> P.S.:  I heard a local Gentoo user group fell apart,
> maybe the about 3 members forked to about 7 Gentoo
> derivates.

Not surprised, they have some issues over there, not the least of
which is friendliness (which is why I prefer a benevolent dictator :)