[texhax] umlauts in times

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Sat Jul 25 16:02:48 CEST 2015

Am Sat, 25 Jul 2015 09:30:54 -0400 schrieb Bob Tennent:

> Using pdftex on the following:
>
> \font\myrm=ptmr8r
> \myrm fl\"uchtig   flüchtig
> \end
>
> the first umlaut doesn't appear, but the second one does.

The "ü" doesn't appear too if the file is utf8 encoded. With
ansinew/latin1 it works as the ü has the same position in font as in
the input.

> If I change ptmr8r to ptmr7t, the entire accented glyph
> disappears.
>
> Is there any way of getting both to work?

Sure. You would have to redefine \" so that it gets the ü from the
correct position. You could check the FAQ: it contains some links to
packages: http://www.tex.ac.uk/FAQ-fonts-pln.html

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/