[texhax] Forcing size changes in exponents

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at gmx.de
Mon Aug 17 03:03:57 CEST 2015

On 2015-08-17 at 00:28:06 +0200, Martin Schröder wrote:

 > > Actually disabling \rm et al. would be such a major break in
 > > compatibility that I sincerely hope, and expect, it will never happen.
 >
 > IMNSHO a use of these commands should give a warning recommending
 > the author to read l2tabu(-en).

Maybe it was a wrong decision to keep the old control sequences in
LaTeX 2e instead of moving them to the LaTeX 2.09 compatibility-mode
package.

If control sequences like \rm, \it, etc. are *really* deprecated,
then LaTeX should issue a warning, of course.  But pointing to
arbitrary stuff on CTAN doen't make sense for obvious reasons.

No reasonable book about LaTeX mentions \rm, \it, etc.  Why are people
still using these macros?  Do plain TeX users believe that LaTeX is
just an extension of plain TeX?

Martin, if you think that it's useful to provide warnings or even
error messages when people are using deprecated commands, and you have
enough time, you could write something similar to onlyamsmath.sty.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de