[texhax] Forcing size changes in exponents

Michael Barr barr at math.mcgill.ca
Mon Aug 17 02:02:53 CEST 2015

Glad to hear.  When I talk up tex to others, one of the major points I make is that I can still compile (except for replacing the font specifications from 2.09 by those of NFSS, a major advance) I can still compile them with only trivial changes, mainly changing \documentstyle by \documentclass and modifying how macro packages are loaded.  If latex starts breaking up compatibility, that would be a real downer.  Now try to take a Word file from 1985 and loading it into a modern version.

It is a major plus that tex, in one form or another, has been essentially unchanged for 35 years.  Yes, latex was a major advance and NFSS was another.  I suppose 2e was a significant advance, but is still nearly compatible.  I suspect latex 3 will have major compatibility problems and I will probably not use it.

Michael