[texhax] insufficient documentation

Schneider schneidt at mail.nih.gov
Sun Nov 23 19:33:47 CET 2014

Karl:

>     I'm writing to ask that whomeever is responsible for the documentation
>     of this (and perhaps other tex programs) to add a few sentences in
>     plain English that describe what this program actually DOES.
>
> I will.

Thank you!

> By the way, many many programs (not just in the TeX world) fail to
> include such a "plain English" description in their help message.  Many
> don't have help messages at all.  I wish it were otherwise.

Agreed.  Thanks to all the folks who suggested various things such as
looking at the man page.  Of course that's a source that I use all the
time but had not thought of in this case.  On the other hand, many
programs don't even have man pages.  I find in my own work that
although I have a rigorous way of defining what my programs do
(http://alum.mit.edu/www/toms/delila/shell.html) invariably the
documentation is insufficient and always can be improved.  It's a
never-ending task.  (Amusingly I found an obvious improvement to the
shell program when I looked at it just now ...)

Tom

  Thomas D. Schneider, Ph.D.
  Senior Investigator
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Center for Cancer Research
  Gene Regulation and Chromosome Biology Laboratory
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  http://schneider.ncifcrf.gov (current link)
  http://alum.mit.edu/www/toms (permanent link)