[texhax] What is an "smb:" link, why is \verb| ... | creating it, and how do I stop it?

ghaverla ghaverla at materialisations.com
Sat May 17 02:14:31 CEST 2014

On Fri, 16 May 2014 23:31:00 +0100
Henry Law <news at lawshouse.org> wrote:

> On 16/05/14 23:05, Douglas McKenna wrote:
> > What does ``smb:'' mean?

Windows NT had a network file system.  I think the original name for it
in M$ speak was SMB (Server Message Block).  Open Source tried to work
with that, and the project most known in this regard is Samba (note it
has s m and b, in that order).  I think M$ then renamed this to be
CIFS.  In any event, it is a filesystem which can be addressed as a
formal protocol, largely because of the work the Samba project has done
over they years.  It is a bit of a moving target, even today.

But, it is similar to http:, https:, ftp: and various other internet
protocols which are meant to address files (logical or real).

Gord