[texhax] controlling table locations

Uwe Lueck uwe.lueck at web.de
Thu May 15 17:15:34 CEST 2014

Reinhard Kotucha 15. Mai 2014 03:41:
> [TS]
> > but I have other things to do !!)
>
> I'm wondering whether it's whorthwhile to help other people at all if
> all they have to say is "I have other things to do".

> Tom, if you are not interested in answers, why on earth do you bother
> us with your stupid questions?

Tom received suggestions from three posters and combined
ideas from about two of them for his own approach.
I consider this an example of what texhax is good for.
Sometimes a request posting gets 5 or 10 answers ...

If you expect that one who asks for suggestions should
actually _try each_ suggestion (say, "This is much easier
with ConTeXt than with LaTeX!"), you really have a knall.
This usually does not happen, and I have never noted
a complaint about it. (Once I complained at Donald Arseneau
about posting ideas that I had posted before; but I agree
that there is no obligation to read my postings.)

If your expectation were elected a common guideline for the list,
this might discourage from posting requests. At this instance
here, you also seem not to care about the OP's intention and
needs, rather are trying to direct other people to behave
according to your personal ideas.

I would consider a better guideline -- might be added to
the foot lines of texhax mails, resembling what you read
when you submit a Wikipedia edit: If you expect that a poster
even _tries_ your suggestion, then please don't post it!

And I didn't find Tom's original posting stupid;
I wondered whether it might be considered a LaTeX bug report.

Cheers,

    Uwe.