[texhax] The undertilde package.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Fri May 9 03:30:14 CEST 2014

I wanted to make use of the \utilde command which is provided by the
undertilde package but I when tried \usepackage{undertilde} I got an
error "undertilde.sty not found".

Using "locate undertilde" I got:

> /usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/doc/generic/tex-virtual-academy-pl/latex2e/macro/undertilde-1.png
> /usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/doc/generic/tex-virtual-academy-pl/latex2e/macro/undertilde.html
> /usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/tex/generic/genmisc/undertilde.tex

Some undertilde stuff, but no *.sty file.

I got the undertilde package from CRAN and (after some travail which I
won't go into) managed to install it and get \utilde to fly.

My question is:  Why wasn't undertilde.sty "there" in the first place?
As you can see from the foregoing listing I am using Texlive 2013.  I
installed it "in the usual way" (can't remember the details now, except
that it took quite a while).  Up until now I have not found anything to
be missing.

Is there something peculiar about the undertilde package?  It does not
seem to pre-date Texlive 2013; I found messages on the web about it
going back at least as far as 2010.

Any insight?

The reason I am concerned is that I am writing a "template" that
involves \utilde and I would like the users at whom the template is
directed to be able to make use of it without going through the
convolutions that I went through to get the undertilde package.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

P. S.  Another funny --- the "locate" command *still* gives the output
pasted as a quotation above, with no indication of undertilde.sty,
although LaTeX can find undertilde.sty without problem.  Why on earth
should that happen?

R. T.

--
Rolf Turner