[texhax] Help with TEX

Suresh Govindachar sgovindachar at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 05:17:02 CEST 2014

On 6/10/2014 7:56 AM, Ellen Hetland wrote:
> I used TEK with pleasure and productivity in the 1980-1990 timeframe. I
> would like to do this now and abandon Microsoft Word. Can I use
>
> 1.)MiKTEX? If not, what else.
>
> 2.)Donald Knuth’s book, “The TEK Book”, for the commands?
>
> If so, I think I will be setup to start. I write mathematical articles
> for my shared website, QuirkyScience.com. I also submit more weighty
> articles to mathematical publications.
>
> I am very familiar with how TeX works, but need to relearn the commands.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I love what can be done with plain TeX, use it, and am very grateful to
Dr. Knuth for having created this product, having written about it,
having maintained it, and making it available to others.  However, his
style of coding, design decisions, and style of exposition aren't my cup
of tea.  For "relearning the commands", I suggest looking at Raymond
Seroul and Silvio Levy's "A Beginner's Book of TeX".

--Suresh