[texhax] Word "chapter" appears in front of lists of figures and tables in TOC

Dr A K Hannaby keith_hannaby at mathshelp.com
Tue Jan 28 19:35:12 CET 2014

Using MiKTeX 2.9 and TechniC Center

I attach a minimal file which is as small as I can get it, while keeping all
the required working elements.

In the ToC, the word "chapter" appears in front of the list of figures and
list of tables;  i.e. "Chapter List of figures" and "Chapter List of Tables"

Also, instead of getting "Appendix A", I am getting "Chapter A" in the
appendices list.

If I remove line 77 of the .tex file:  \renewcommand{\tocchapter}[3], the
word "chapter disappears, but a trailing dot then appears as in, say,
Chapter 2(.)

I've tried dozens of combinations and found, too, that using the \tocloft
package is very involved.

Can anyone help, please?

Keith