[texhax] TeX based presentations -- setting up "print dialog presets"

Suresh Govindachar sgovindachar at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 1 02:42:24 CEST 2014

On 3/31/2014 11:12 AM, Pierre MacKay wrote:
> On 03/30/2014 07:54 AM, Suresh Govindachar wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> When a presentation is created from TeX, only some of the pages of the
>> resulting pdf correspond to complete slides that would need to be
>> printed in a handout.
>>
>> Within the TeX file, one would know the page numbers that would need
>> to be in the handout (which could be some collection like
>> 1,3,6,9,12,16-18,20-22,26,30,32,33).
>>
> Why try to pack this into the TeX source?

The way I create presentations based on TeX source, the information
about which pages of the resulting pdf need to be printed in readily
available -- it is no extra work to get a string such as
"1,3,6,9,12,16-18,20-22,26,30,32,33"

The rest of the original post was:

     >> The pdf document properties has a section titled "Print
     >> Dialog Presets" that accepts such collections for the
     >> "Print Page Range" entry.
     >>
     >> Question:  knowing the collection of pages that need to be
     >> printed, how to populate the "Print Page Range" entry from
     >> within the TeX file?

 > Why not set up a script from the splendidly functional pdftk
 > (PDF toolkit)?

1) The source has the information of which pages of the pdf are complete
slides (rather than partial transitional slides) -- this information
would need to be provided to the user of pdftk somehow.

2) Since recipients of the pdf of the presentation can't be expected to
have pdftk, I would need to provide them a pdf of the handout too.

--Suresh