[texhax] xml, texinfo, info, ... (Was: Re: LaTeX users mailing list)

Shawn Wilson ag4ve.us at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 00:34:46 CEST 2013

Philip Taylor <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk> wrote:

>William F Hammond wrote:
>
>> Shawn Wilson <ag4ve.us at gmail.com> writes in part:
>
>>> As an aside of my experience so far: I've found, info for
>>> creating non-science docs is lacking (I might want math in
>>> a doc but it isn't my use case).   ...
>>
>> It is interesting that you cite Info, which originates with
>> texinfo.
>
>Are you /sure/, William, that Shawn was "citing Info", and
>not merely saying "information for creating non-science
>documents is lacking" ?  If he can abbreviate "documents"
>to "docs", I would argue that he will probably abbreviate
>"information" to "info" ...

Though I thoroughly enjoyed the reply, you're right - I didn't even consider 'info' as I don't use it.

Since that's probably an evil comment around here, I'll explain. I don't really want to need a manual for a manual page pager and I know less (it's simple) so I use man... Or at least that always was my argument. I started using vim as a manpage pager (it works pretty well with little effort) a while ago so liking the simple less pager sorta went out the door. As I'm writing this I'm thinking elinks might be the perfect pager for both man, info, and perldoc. Though maybe not as I can script vim... I'll have to think on this - I'm always looking for better ways to get information* on my system.