[texhax] Changing footnote right margin

Doug McKenna doug at mathemaesthetics.com
Tue Sep 10 06:21:17 CEST 2013

All or any -

This must be simple, but scouring the internet hasn't helped.

I'm placing text on a page in landscape orientation.
I simply want to make a footnote's right margin conform to my
text's right margin, when that text's right margin has been
adjusted away from the right side of the page.

Here's a MWE (FWIW, I'm using TeXLive 2010, LaTeX2e, pdftex).  It shows
the
problem at the bottom of the last page, and asks the questions
I seek the answers to ...

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[paperwidth=11in, paperheight=8.5in, margin=1in]{geometry}
\usepackage{changepage}

\title{FOOTNOTE MARGIN MYSTERY:~A MWE}
%\author{}
\date{}

\begin{document}
\maketitle
\thispagestyle{empty}
\clearpage

This is the first page's text:~blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,
blah, blah, blah.\footnote{This is a longish footnote
for the first page's text that word-wraps at the right margin.
{\bf Notice that the right margin of this footnote is on the right
side of the landscape page, as expected.}}

\clearpage

\begin{adjustwidth}{0pt}{3in}

Now we continue with some text on the second page of the document.
Notice that the right margin on this landscape page
is now inset by 3 inches, because we've used the {\tt adjustwidth}
environment (from the {\tt changepage} package) to reduce the right
margin by 3 inches.\footnote{But in this footnote, otherwise similar to
what was on the first page, it doesn't seem to be subject to the
right margin reduction we thought was in effect via the {\tt adjustwidth}
environment to which the main text is currently subject.
{\bf WHY??  How does one conform the footnote right margin to the 3 inch
inset right margin that the text has??}}

\end{adjustwidth}

\end{document}

Thanks for any tips.

Doug McKenna