[texhax] proTeXt on Win 8.1 64 bit

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 17:40:01 CET 2013

I think you’re right: proTeXt doesn’t say whether it’s 64-bit.

However, proTeXt is just a means of bundling together an actual TeX distribution, namely, MiKTeX, the TeXnicCenter front end, and GhostScript. If you download the self-extracting protext.exe file and examine its archive contents, you’ll discover that it includes the 64-bit installer for MiKTeX, to which you alluded.

If you want to use the TeXnicCenter front end for MiKTeX, you can then directly download a 64-bit version of TeXnicCenter. And it’s not easy to directly download and install the 64-bit version of MiKTeX.

You may wish, however, to substitute for TeXnicCenter a different editor , e.g., the powerful WinEdt (which works nicely with either MiKTeX or TeXLive), which is 64-bit.

However, so far as I can see, for Windows the TeXStudio front end is only 32-bits.

On 27 Oct 2013 07:21:46 -0400, Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:

> …I have just purchased a new PC and installed Win 8.1 64bit on it. I
> was going to install the "proTeXt" <http://www.tug.org/protext/>
> package, however, I cannot find out if it is 64 or 32 bit. There does
> not appear to be any documentation regarding it available. Also, I was
> told, but cannot confirm that "proTeXt" now includes "TeXstudio". Is
> that correct? I have used "TeXstudio" in the past and would like to
> continue with it. I noticed that MiKTeX does have 64bit packages
> available.

---
Murray Eisenberg		murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101		Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334