[texhax] On the \\ problem

Susan Dittmar Susan.Dittmar at gmx.de
Tue Mar 26 10:10:04 CET 2013

Michael Barr schrieb:
> Let me start by saying that I am not interested in a flame war over my
> OS or editor.  My editor is one I have been using since 1984 and I will
> not change it.

No reason to! I think most people would do the same as long as their
once-made-and-now-familiar choice still meets their needs. This has nothing to
do with age. My 6-year-old god-child also insists on doing things how she always
did them and not change just because I have a different approach ;-)

> On failing of this editor, despite its unquestioned power, is the
> inability to search across line breaks.

My favorite editor has the same shortcoming, maybe it's the same editor ;-)
I decided to learn just enough of another editor to switch to that for precisely
such search-and-replace jobs. All I need to know about this other editor is how
to load a file, how to save it, how to quit, and how to do a search-and-replace
over linebreaks. And, very important, how to invoke the help on the
search-and-replace patterns, as I always forget the details. This strategy works
like a charm :-)

	Susan