[texhax] Having a Problem Compiling My Tex Document

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Fri Mar 15 13:17:29 CET 2013

Am Freitag, den 15.03.2013, 07:20 +0100 schrieb Uwe Lück:
> [...]
> > > of things one might point out for someone new to LaTeX.

> > > "1 \emph{mod} 4" does not look good to my eyes, and there's
> > > a stray parenthesis to the right.  I think "\pmod{4}" (or
> > > "\bmod 4") would be better.
> > >
> > > In this clip the "fi" ligature is appearing for itself
> > > (twice).  This may not be a good thing; replacing it with
> > > simple "fi" will, I think, work more universally.
> > >
> > > My reference materials are not handy, but I think for LaTeX,
> > > \vspace should be used in preference to \vskip, and,
> > > moreover, I think it's better to use ex units (rather than
> > > em units) for vertical lengths.
> >
> > And (1) it is often recommended to use \textit{Solution.}
> > rather than {\it Solution.} (not so relevant here, rather
> > with automatical kerning).
> >
> > More seriously, the enclosing box is twice wider by the
> > box rule widht and the separator width than the text width,
> > you get an overfull \hbox warning. To avoid this, before
> > \fbox should be \leavevmode\kern-\fboxrule\kern-\fboxsep,
> > and after it there should be \kern-\fboxrule\kern-\fboxsep.
> > But after that, the box is still too wide, and I must stop
> > diagnosing now. For boxes around text of full text width,
> > there are packages like framed and mdframded (and others
> > I think), I cannot give more advice right now.
>
> Now I have a proposal. "Solution" was beside the box,
> probably should below. And the box still was to wide
> due to the paragraph indent. The Unicode or so "fi" ligature
> just was not printed here, now done as Bill proposed.
> \vskips replaced according to Bill to.
> There is a halfway correction of the "mod" that Bill criticized.
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{amssymb}
> \usepackage{amsmath}
> \usepackage{amsthm}
> \usepackage{mathrsfs}
> \begin{document}
> \noindent \kern-\fboxrule\kern-\fboxsep      %% UL
> \fbox{\parbox{\textwidth}{\vspace{.5ex}
> 13. Let $K = \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{m})$, let $p$ be a prime integer and let
> $m \neq 1$ be a square free integer such that
> $m \equiv 1 \mathop{\mathit{mod}} 4$).       %% UL
> \begin{enumerate}
> \item[a.] Prove: $p\mathbb{Z}$ ramifies in $K/\mathbb{Q}$ if and only if
> $p \mid m$.
> \item[b.] Perform computations analogous to those made in section 4.8 of
> the text. (Note that $2\mathbb{Z}$ will be unramified in $K/\mathbb{Q}$,
> and care must be taken to distinguish between the split and inert cases
> for $p = 2$.)
> \end{enumerate}
> \vspace{.5ex}}}\kern-\fboxrule\kern-\fboxsep %% UL
> \\[1ex]                                      %% UL
> \textit{Solution.} \bigskip                  %% UL
> %--------insert your solution to problem 2 below this line
> \end{document}
>
> The amsthm has not been used. The "solution" might be typeset like
> a theorem. My mod is homemade close to what was there before
> rather than from amsmath. What for will \mathscr from mathrsfs

Here is a version with a macro \problemboxsol in case
the situation is repeated:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{amsthm}
\usepackage{mathrsfs}
\newcommand{\problemboxsol}[1]{%
             #1%
             \vspace{.5ex}}}\kern-\fboxrule\kern-\fboxsep
    \\[1ex]%
    \textit{Solution.}\bigskip}
%--------insert your solution to problem 2 below this line
\begin{document}
\problemboxsol{13. Let $K = \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{m})$,
               let $p$ be a prime integer and
               let $m \neq 1$ be a square free integer such that
               $m \equiv 1 \mathop{\mathit{mod}} 4$).
    \begin{enumerate}
        \item[a.] Prove: $p\mathbb{Z}$ ramifies in $K/\mathbb{Q}$
                  if and only if $p \mid m$.
        \item[b.] Perform computations analogous to those made in
                  section~4.8 of the text.
        (Note that $2\mathbb{Z}$ will be unramified in $K/\mathbb{Q}$,
         and care must be taken to distinguish between the split
         and inert cases for $p = 2$.)
    \end{enumerate}}
%--------insert your solution to problem 2 below this line
\end{document}

I have kept the strange ")" after "mod".

Cheers,

    Uwe.