[texhax] puzzling conversion to html

Donald Arseneau asnd at triumf.ca
Fri Jun 28 12:54:10 CEST 2013

On Thu, June 27, 2013 4:38 pm, Thomas Schneider wrote:

> I make a very simple LaTeX file and can convert it just fine UNLESS it
> is named 'primer'.  In that case it fails.  The failure is that it
> thinks the primer file is LaTeX 2.09 and it does:
>
>           Entering LaTeX 2.09 COMPATIBILITY MODE
>  *************************************************************
>     !!WARNING!!    !!WARNING!!    !!WARNING!!    !!WARNING!!

You have another primer.tex that comes up earlier in the TeX
search path.  Try "kpsewhich primer".

> So for some reason the word 'primer' is special.  The weird part is that
> the <title> of the blank primer.html page is:

> I do have a paper with that title but it is NOT in the same directory.

Oh, you already found the culprit.

I think you can display the entire search path by:

kpsewhich --show-path=tex

Maybe that will show why the other directory is searched first.
(Hint: a sensible search path must begin with ".:".)

Donald Arseneau, TRIUMF CMMS, asnd at triumf.ca