[texhax] Umasks, Permissions, and All That

Thomas Schneider schneidt at mail.nih.gov
Sat Jul 13 18:06:48 CEST 2013

Herbert:

> I inheritance of umask by root using sudo does happen when using bash.

Ok, thanks.

> The standard directories, e.g., ~/Library and ~/Documents, in my
> HOME directory, with ownership by me of course, all have permissions
> 700 so, as far as I know, others can't look inside them; no need to
> set the permissions of all the files and sub-directories of those
> directories to 700 too. Is that wrong?

I think that's right - the top level permission ought to prevent
access to the lower levels.

Tom

  Thomas D. Schneider, Ph.D.
  Senior Investigator
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Center for Cancer Research
  Gene Regulation and Chromosome Biology Laboratory
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  schneidt at mail.nih.gov
  http://schneider.ncifcrf.gov/(current link)