[texhax] trouble installing TeX Collection 2013

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Jul 12 01:17:50 CEST 2013

    It seems much more complex than previous installations, with three
    unequal parts!  This is confusing.

Hmm, the reasoning should be on one of the mactex web pages, although I
don't find it now :(.  It wasn't done on a whim.

    drwx------  20 root  wheel  680 Jul  9 17:42 2013/

Maybe your umask (after sudo) is 700?

TL installation intentionally does not force any particular permissions.
The idea is that you should be in control of permissions, not the
installer.  Of course it's still troublesome that you got this result
after going through the normal MacTeX installation.  It should at least
be anticipated in the doc.

    cd /usr/local/texlive
    sudo chmod -R a+rX 2013

Indeed, that is the thing to do if the directory ends up installed as
unreadable :(.

    This might be required for everyone on Unix systems ...

Certainly not everyone (e.g., I installed on Unix, and I didn't need to
do it).  I believe it will happen to people who install (a) as root, and
(b) with a very restrictive umask.  I think that is unfortunately common
(standard?) on Macs, but not elsewhere.

karl