[texhax] question

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Wed Jan 30 17:45:09 CET 2013

On Jan 30, 2013, at 10:48 AM, Ariane wrote:

> I have a vexing problem with latex as described in the attending file.
> I am not technically competent, but an applied mathematician struggling to arrive
> at a decent manuscript. Can you help?

> it compiles perfectly. When I compile it in the book-input structure above it does not compile: error message = missing $

The first thing I'd try would be to replace your $ and $$ w/ appropriate LaTeX constructs one section at a time:

$...$  replace with \(...\)

$$...$$ replace with \[...\]

I believe that doing this will allow you to determine where the missing $ is.

Using the begin-end pairs is better style, and allows for more facile control of spacing around display equations.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer