[texhax] Using XeTeX to select fonts

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Jan 29 14:33:20 CET 2013

On Jan 28, 2013, at 1:32 PM, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> Whereas using LaTeX is like trying to drive a racing car
> with flat tyres, an automatic gearbox with no manual
> override, a steering wheel that decides for you where
> it thinks you want to go, with the brakes permanently
> half-engaged, and all this whilst wearing a Michelin-man
> inflatable suit.

I think you should look up the original conversation, it was on comp.text.tex --- readers might also enjoy my ``galley slaves'' commentary which is preserved at:

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Comparison_between_ConTeXt_and_other_typesetting_programs

Certainly my observation wasn't meant to knock Plain TeX --- I still use it and as often as not, when developing a LaTeX macro will use a Plain TeX programming style when using LaTeX constructs would be more correct.

For those who're working w/ the younger generation, I'd definitely suggest pointing them at:

http://www.texmacs.org/ --- for a Plain take

and

http://www.lyx.org/ --- for the LaTeX GUI

William
(who is still puzzling (raging) over having sent out a .rtf w/ just _3_ styles and some basic formatting and getting back a Word document which had fingerpainted formatting, and was Word ``Normal'' throughout, w/ no trace of my semantically named styles / tagging)

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer