[texhax] Using XeTeX to select fonts

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Mon Jan 28 18:27:21 CET 2013

On Jan 27, 2013, at 5:21 PM, Clint Olsen wrote:

> What I would like to know is whether it's possible to select a family
> of fonts so that when I select markup like { \sl  <text> } or { \bf
> <text } it will select the desired font variant. I'm noticing that it
> reverts to the usual Latin Modern fonts for the variants.

If you really want to use Plain TeX, then you're going to have to get down w/ the code for TeX itself.

One technique of investigation is to use the \show command, e.g., \show \sl \bye

Or, you can look at the source for the TeX format --- I believe that there was once a Literate version of it prepared --- ah, here we are (I think):

http://www.tug.org/TUGboat/tb16-3/tb48bzyl.pdf

William

(a reformed Plain TeX user who now uses LaTeX --- David Kastrup I think it was, had a great analogy about using Plain TeX like to controlling a car using sets of reins attached to a car's engine and steering and brake systems so that one couldn't close the hood lest one cut them off)

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer