[texhax] Labels and References with "varioref"

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sun Dec 29 16:31:32 CET 2013

I don't know id this is the right place to ask this question, but it is
as good as any to start with. I am trying to learn how "LaTeX" and use
it as a possible replacement for MS Word. In the following example, I
am trying to create proper references to items in numbered lists. I
don't explain things to well, so I apologize in advance.

I am using the "varioref" package to create labels and references. I
need to get items create with

\begin{enumerate}
\item bla bla bla
\end{enumerate}

referenced correctly.

In the following example I need to get the label named in line 11
correctly referenced on line 13.

\begin{enumerate}
\item this is item 1
\item This is item 2
  \begin{enumerate}
  \item this is item 2A
  \item This is item 2B
  \end{enumerate}
\item This is item 3
\item this is item 4
  \begin{enumerate}
  \item This is item 4A \label{itm:4A}
  \end{enumerate}
\item This is item 5 which is suppose to reference \vref{itm:4A}
\end{enumerate}

The problem is that (1) it only prints out "A"  and not "item 4A". I
added this to the preamble, but it doesn't help.

\labelformat{enumi}{item~#1}
\labelformat{enumii}{item~#1}
\labelformat{enumiii}{item~#1}
\labelformat{enumiiii}{item~#1}

This may not seem like a huge problem, but these lists are used in
legal documents and can be quite lengthy and several levels deep. I
need the reference to be more precise than just printing out a vague
letter or number that can refer to several placed in the section.

--
Jerry