[texhax] Fwd: Typesetting in Hebrew

Moshe Kamensky moshe.kamensky at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 21:37:40 CET 2013

Hi,

There are two different questions here: editing the document, and
compiling.

For compiling, I have the following in the preamble:

\usepackage{xunicode}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
%\setdefaultlanguage[numerals=hebrew]{hebrew}
\setdefaultlanguage{hebrew}
\setotherlanguage{english}
\setmainfont[Script=Hebrew,Ligatures=TeX]{Linux Libertine}

I then compile with xelatex. Works well.

Editing is more complicated, and depends on your environment and taste,
but basically you need bidi support. What I use is vim within
rxvt-unicode, with a perl plugin for rxvt-unicode that makes it bidi
aware. You could, of course, use another bidi aware term, or a bidi
aware editor.

I also find it convenient to translate the commands into Hebrew, so that
there is no need to switch languages to enter a command. E.g.,

\let\תווית=\label
\let\סעיף=\section

and so on.

Best,