[texhax] Problem with figure

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Dec 7 01:33:09 CET 2013

On 2013-12-06 at 17:52:07 +0100, Martin Schröder wrote:

 > 2013/12/6 Michael Barr <barr at math.mcgill.ca>:
 > > I have a copy of the first edition of the Latex Companion.  I had
 > > never used figure before and looked it up and found that among
 > > the 14 index entries to "figure", not one really told me how to
 > > use it.  Yes I guessed it was an
 >
 > The companion is a _companion_ to the LaTeX manual by Lamport (or
 > any other introduction to LaTeX). Get that.

That's true.  The main advantage of Lamport's book is Appendix C,
(Reference Manual) because it's the *definite* reference.  Only the
source code is more definite.

The LaTeX Companion mostly describes 3rd party packages and the first
edition is very old.  I suppose that most of the the stuff described
there is still valid but nowadays a lot of newer packages are
available which probably make life easier.

The second edition is more up-to-date and even mentions Xindy, a
Unicode-aware index processor.  The first edition doesn't mention
Unicode at all.  Though the second edition is almost ten years old
I think that it's still worth the money.

Michael, you obviously use LaTeX extensively.  I'm sure that you can
save a lot of time if you use more up-to-date literature about LaTeX.
I would rather buy a recent book instead of doing thing as people did
in the early nineties.

And whenever graphics inclusion and floats are involved, I recommend

  http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/epslatex/english/epslatex.pdf

It's a pity that we can't have this document in TeX Live; the author
didn't provide the TeX source code.  He told me that he considered to
provide the sources after revising them.  Unfortunately he's
unreachable since that time.

If anybody knows how I can contact Keith Reckdahl, please let me
know.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25