[texhax] Obsolete \centerline command used in amsbook class (Uwe L?ck)

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Thu Sep 27 13:32:15 CEST 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 11:14:27AM +0200, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Wed, 26 Sep 2012 19:44:04 -0300 schrieb Jim Diamond:
>
> >> So my reaction to the complain about "\over" is "so what"?
>
> > Apparently you don't care about the trouble this causes some people.
>
> Exactly. I don't care when people make a lot of fuss about a very
> small nuisance. The amslatex team certainly did not change \over out
> of a whim. The reasons are explain in the technotes:
> ftp://ftp.ams.org/ams/amslatex/math/technote.pdf

The technote explains why \over was a bad design decision by Knuth, but
I fail to see how disallowing users from using \over fixes any of the
mentioned issues, it doesn’t, and \frac is implemented using \over, so
it comes down to "we don't like \over, and so we will make it difficult
for people to use it".

Regards,
 Khaled