[texhax] Obsolete \centerline command used in amsbook class (Uwe L?ck)

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Thu Sep 27 08:29:27 CEST 2012

Am Mittwoch, den 26.09.2012, 19:44 -0300 schrieb Jim Diamond:
> discussion... A long time ago, when I started to use TeX, I looked at
> LaTeX and decided I didn't like its "my way or the highway" attitude.
> Specifically, I wanted to change a couple of its formatting decisions
> and after looking at *the* worst spaghetti code I've ever seen trying
> to figure out what to change, I decided I didn't want to use LaTeX at
> all.  (I assume newer versions of LaTeX are better written, but I
> haven't checked.)  So I stopped using it.  While I occasionally
> provide what assistance I can to some local LaTeX beginners, I have
> made a point of avoiding LaTeX whenever possible, so its bad design
> decisions (as well as its good ones) mostly go unnoticed.

Just on this for you, Jim. In the meantime, a number of LaTeX packages
have appeared that provide interfaces for different designs. There
are packages for choosing your own design, but also some people say
that just using koma-script instead of LaTeX's standard classes suffices
to get pleasent design. So I would say that today, the design provided
by LaTeX's standard classes no longer is a reason not to use LaTeX.

Cheers,

    Uwe.